Dolphins spend $10,000,000 on a Quitter

Rick Weaver January 2011

The big question floating around the NFL since Sunday’s playoff games is how a guy, who has played on mediocre teams since coming into the NFL, finally got his big chance to play in an NFC Championship game, which could have possibly led him to a shot at a Superbowl, could simply decide to toss it all away after tweaking his knee and not even being able to remember which play he actually tweaked it on?

The question is almost unanswerable. However, remember who it is we are talking about here, Jay Cutler. Cutler has never once shown that he has cared what anyone thought about him or what he did.

I guess there is that one percent chance Cutler may have the best poker face in all of sports and desperately does care what others think, but that is virtually impossible.

If body language could speak out loud on Sunday evening, Jay would have probably been yelling how he found himself in a game that he felt he could not win and he was stuck behind an offensive line who could not even come close to protecting him.

To make matters worse, Cutler knew he was stuck in an offensive scheme that really required his offensive line to give him at least one more second of protection for him to find the open receivers.

Even though Cutler had a concussion in week four and still had some lingering issues in week five, the injury did give him a front row seat on the bench, to see just how poorly his backup played.,,

So Cutler knew Sunday, in the NFC Championship game, when he decided he was hurt, that the game was over.

What are football fans to make of a team’s only real chance at an NFL Championship walking and not limping off of the field, while leaving their team’s postseason chances in the balance?

This entry was posted in Gase Trophy Case. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Dolphins spend $10,000,000 on a Quitter

1. Tim Knight says:

Rant on David. What happened to I trust in Gase?

• David says:

this isn’t my rant or story, it’s what happened.
      it’s the story of how Cutler quit his team in the NFC championship game, and I bet You remember it too ?

• Tim Knight says:

You’re posting negative stuff to fit your rant.

• David says:

I agree .
          It’s a negative story, because the subject didn’t give a shit about his team, in the NFC championship game.
          It’s Tough to make a positive story when the subject is faulty.

Would You be ok if Cutler quit on Miami in the AFC championship game?

• Tim Knight says:

Actually I don’t remember. We all know what Cutler is. A guy who can make every throw and has been productive but he’s kind of strange bird.

2. David says:

If Cutler is worth 10 million, We are the ONLY team that thinks so

3. Tim Knight says:

Okay David, have at it. I don’t agree and if you can’t see how Cutler was the logical choice with Gase knowing him and Cutler knowing the system than there isn’t much more to say.

4. David says:

I wish I had forgotten the wimpy exit of Cutler in a NFC championship game, would be a little easier to accept him now.
    It was incredible to see a grown man walk out on his mates, because he was scared to get hurt.
    He should have at the very least, faked a limp so people might not KNOW he was a quitter. He wasn’t hurt, just scared.
    He just didn’t care one way or the other, total selfishness and cowardice.

• Tim Knight says:

Maybe he was already hurt and gave it a go and couldn’t keep going. How does anyone question how a guy is feeling?

This last sentence is absurd.
      “Cutler bowing out early Sunday is going to leave a list of questions and these questions will follow Cutler no matter where he goes, even if his MRI shows a torn ACL.”

• David says:

No, I remember watching the game. It was one of he worst quit jobs ever.
        Seems incredible You forgot it, lol.
        Dude was scared, walked, not limped out, and was distant, disconnected from the team mentally and physically.

Research some stories on it if You doubt my recollection, this game totally turned me off Cutler forever

5. David says:

I’m out for a bit, give someone a chance to find a good story on Cutler 😎

6. TOP SECRET says:

not a huge fan of CUTLER, but I do trust GASE……way better than signing that piece of shit “colon krap-on-dick”….so i’ll get to watch some DOLPHINS football this year.
    GO PHINS !……GO GASE !

7. PB Fin Fam says:

I would also defer to Gase, he has got us this far. Go Dolphins! Hell yeah!

8. Cooz says:

Guys….. think positive!

Even though Cutler’s head may not be screwed on quite right……He does have a better arm than Tannihill and Gase has proved that he actually is a ‘Quarterback Whisperer’.

Under the circumstances….. I’m feeling pretty good.

• Tim Knight says:

Cutler has a better arm than just about every QB in the league. He has a Favre like arm.

9. ElephantRider says:

Gase wont put up for anybody’s shit. I’m not a fan of Cutler, but i have confidence Gase knows what he is doing

10. ElephantRider says:

I’m sure Cutler will receive the same treatment as all the others. If he doesn’t do his job, he’ll be out.

11. PB Fin Fam says:

If Gase makes this work he must be considered for coach of the year.

• David says:

o hell yea, no doubt about it.

i dont think Gase shies away from a challenge like this one, I just wish we had better groceries for the meal

12. Marinofan13 says:

Obviously Cutler wasn’t my first choice ($$$, and we only had $15.7M to either extend Landry early or find FAs to replace Ted Larsen and Mike Pouncey when he goes down again), but we got a QB who Gase trusts, already knows Gase’s system, and as Tim stated… has one of the strongest arms in the NFL who can make all the throws. SOLID signing, IMO.

It’s only a 1 year deal for Cutler. Thus, we can (and will) re-sign Landry next year, not this year. But in the meantime, we’ve got just over $5M to work with right now and we’d better hope nobody else of significance goes down.

Yes… this means that Tannehill is opting to go under the knife, and that’s a good thing for his future. Get it out of the way now: ensure that the knee won’t become a career-ending issue and he should be good to go to begin the 2018 season. He got good medical advice and stem-cell treatment last year, it just didn’t hold up. No harm, no foul, it happens.

Count me among y’all who wanted Cutler in the 2006 Draft out of Vandy, but leave it to Shanadouche to once again claim one of my guys (we all knew Cutler wasn’t going to fall to us, though). My best friend Jimmy (RIP) was ALL about Cutler, and he had some of the best scouting eyes I’ve ever been around. Shanadouche has a history of killing the development of QBs in Denver (and Washington) and Cutler fared no better in Chi-Town until Gase came.

Cutler didn’t have much in terms of weapons to work with in both Denver and Chicago (pretty much only Brandon Marshall), but here in Miami we’re pretty much LOADED.

All-in-all, I’m good with the signing of Cutler. I really didn’t think he’d come out of the booth, but we showed him the $$$ and support from Ross on down. My only demand? Make Cutler EARN the starting job, regardless of the $$$. If Moore outperforms him, you play the better player regardless of $$$.

Now then… let’s get this O-Line figured out with Ted Larsen’s torn biceps and Mike Pouncey just waiting to go down again (hope NOT!).

Welcome to Miami and best of luck, Jay Cutler!
    GO PHINS!!!
    HELL YEAH!!!

• David says:

good post, Im trying to forget the 2010 NFC championship game and this helped a little, lol
      thanks 🙂

• Marinofan13 says:

No problem, Brah! I try to be extremely objective in my assessments and I’m not much a fan of Cutler the person. But I CAN tell ya that he’s got the goods to be an upper-echelon QB with the proper coaching (Gase) and an arsenal to work with like we have.

Now that we have our QB quandary figured out for this season after Tanny’s injury (whether it be Moore or Cutler), we MUST focus our energy/attention on the O-Line. This should be our main concern now, man.

Our season isn’t over!!!